Membership ApplicationThe process for applying for ASPA Membership
ASPA is a membership organization. Membership does not equate to recognition, nor does it certify the status, performance or integrity of the accreditation organization. Organizations seeking membership do so on a voluntary basis. ASPA is under no obligation to accept any organization as a member.
ASPA Membership Application
Before beginning the process, please review the Membership Eligibility Criteria below.
Membership Eligibility Criteria
For ASPA Membership, the accrediting organization must:
- Demonstrate that it meets ASPA’s definition of Specialized or Professional and the supporting definitions (see list of definitions);
- Endorse the ASPA Code of Good Practice; and
- Submit the application and other required materials with the application fee of $500.00.
If the membership criteria are met and the applicant is accepted into membership by the ASPA Board of Directors, the term of membership will continue as long as the organization is a member in good standing.
Membership is contingent upon payment of current dues.
Annual dues for July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020 are $4700 + ($8.00 x number of institutions that sponsor accredited programs, capped at 500 units). Dues will be pro-rated based on the date of approval for membership. (dues memo)
Use this form to submit a membership application. Applications must address each of the following criteria. The application is reviewed by the Membership Committee, which may seek clarifying information from the applicant prior to formalizing a recommendation to the ASPA Board of Directors for review and action.
Applications must be signed by the chief executive or chief operating officer of the accrediting agency (staff) and the chief elected officer. The agency must describe how it meets ASPA’s definition of specialized or professional and the supporting definitions (see definitions-specialized-professional).
Indicate: a) the nature and scope of accrediting activity, b) the date when the first program/institution was granted accreditation, and c) the number of programs currently accredited.
Provide evidence of adherence to good accreditation practice by submitting:
- i. Documentation (policies/procedures) that describes how the organization (see rubric for guidance):
- conducts its accreditation process
- establishes and revises accreditation standards
- makes decisions on accreditation actions
- demonstrates respect for institutional autonomy and academic freedom
- selects and trains reviewers
- promotes assessment and continuous quality improvement of accredited programs
- provides public information about accredited programs
- responds to complaints
- ii. A copy of the accreditation standards or evaluation criteria.
- iii. A listing of organizations that recognize or require its accreditation activity (i.e. Certification Bodies, Licensing Boards etc.)
Complete all sections of the application form including clear indications of where evidence can be found in supporting documentation.
- i. Mail the non-refundable application fee check for $500 to:
ASPA, 3023 North Clark Street, #317, Chicago IL 60657. (applicants may request electronic payment option by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- ii. Email an electronic version of all documents in a single bookmarked PDF to email@example.com.
Membership is contingent upon payment of current membership dues.
Applicants will pay dues that are pro-rated based on the date of approval for membership.
Reinstatement of Lapsed Membership
See a full list of accreditors who are members of ASPA and the professions and fields of study for which they set quality standards.
Have a Question?
Send us a quick message using the form below. We’d love to hear from you.